The establishment of the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) by the Council in December 2017 has raised cooperation on defence among the participating EU Member States to a new level.
Introduced by the , PESCO is a framework and process to deepen defence cooperation between those EU Member States who are capable and willing to do so. 25 EU Member States have joined PESCO and subscribed to more binding commitments to invest, plan, develop and operate defence capabilities more together, within the Union framework. The objective is to jointly arrive at a coherent full spectrum of defence capabilities available to Member States for national and multinational (EU, NATO, UN, etc.) missions and operations. This will enhance the EU’s capacity as an international security actor, contribute to the protection of the EU citizens and maximise the effectiveness of defence spending.
The key difference between PESCO and other forms of cooperation is the legally binding nature of the commitments undertaken by the 25 Member States which participate in PESCO.
A second batch of 17 additional projects to be developed under PESCO was adopted by the Council on 19 November 2018.
Each of the projects is carried forward by varying group of PESCO participating Member States (project members) and is coordinated by one or more PESCO participating Member States (project coordinators). The project members may agree among themselves to allow other participating Member States to join as a project member or to become observer to the project.
Below is an overview and short description of all the 34 projects that are being developed in the context of PESCO and covering areas such as training, land, maritime, air, cyber, and joint enablers:
LAND, FORMATIONS, SYSTEMS
- Deployable Military Disaster Relief Capability Package
- Armoured Infantry Fighting Vehicle / Amphibious Assault Vehicle / Light Armoured Vehicle
- Indirect Fire Support Capability (EuroArtillery)
- EUFOR Crisis Response Operation Core (EUFOR CROC)
- Integrated Unmanned Ground System (UGS)
- EU Beyond Line Of Sight (BLOS) Land Battlefield Missile Systems
- European Medical Command
- Network of Logistic Hubs in Europe and Support to Operations
- Military Mobility
- Energy Operational Function (EOF)
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Surveillance as a Service (CBRN SaaS)
- Geo-meteorological and Oceanographic (GeoMETOC) Support Coordination Element (GMSCE)
- European Secure Software defined Radio (ESSOR)
- Cyber Threats and Incident Response Information Sharing Platform
- Cyber Rapid Response Teams and Mutual Assistance in Cyber Security
- Strategic Command and Control (C2) System for CSDP Missions and Operations
- European High Atmosphere Airship Platform (EHAAP) – Persistent Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Capability
- One Deployable Special Operations Forces (SOF) Tactical Command and Control (C2) Command Post (CP) for Small Joint Operations (SJO) – (SOCC) for SJO
- Electronic Warfare Capability and Interoperability Programme for Future Joint Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (JISR) Cooperation
PRESS & MEDIA